Friday, August 18, 2006

Road Scenes - SOURIS, Manitoba's Swinging Bridge


Last week I had an appointment in Carlyle in south eastern Saskatchewan. From there I had a stop in Redvers, SK...then on to Winnipeg, Manitoba. My route took me through Souris, Manitoba. And I must say, what a nice town!
Of course I walked across their "Swinging Bridge" which spans the Souris river. It is longer Wolseley's, but it is so bouncy that you wouldn't want to take elderly people across. However, it's a nice bridge nonetheless. I also noticed that many of the houses around Souris are historic and impressive. So if your ever in southern Manitioba, take some time to visit Souris.

3 comments:

Rocky said...

Hi Rob: Just a little local history, my Mom, Ruby Bishop, nee: Ruby Knight, first cousin, whose's name was Les Knight,was Mayor of Souris as well as the, maybe the only family doctor in the area for years. I still have faimly residing in Souris and area. In fact, I believe there is a younger generation of "Kinght" doctors practising in Souris and the Winnipeg area. My Grandfather, Stan Knight, former Wolseley resident and local business owner, has both a brother and sister buried in Souris. Also, Souris, for many years had competition with another town on the praries, that being Wolseley. They both bragged of having a "Swinning Bridge" and they both did. I believe, the only two towns in Canada to ahve a swinning bridge in their back yards. Anyway, have been to Souris many times, and as you mentioned, it is a very beautiful little town.

Rock Bishop

Anonymous said...

Hi, does anyone have any info on the drive in? When does it end for the season, and is there a website, or how can we get information. I am from Moose Jaw.

Thanks, Doreen

Wolseley Online said...

Doreen,

Thanks for reading the blog. The Twilite Drive-In will be operating for another two weekends. However, Sept 1 & 2 they will not beopen but they be open on the 3rd.

Aug. 25th,26th & 27th the show is Pirates of the Caribbean
Sept 3rd is a Double Bill - Superman Returns and The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

Hopefully you can make to one of the shows!