Monday, August 14, 2006

Moffat Stone House tour reveals HISTORY



The Stones of Moffat tour was a resounding success again this year.
We gathered at the MoffatHall at 1:00 pm and after an informative talk by Kay Parley boarded two school buses and a filled a few cars. With tour guides Stanley Taylor on one bus, and his wife
Phyllis on the other, each group enjoyed knowledgeable insight and recollections of the Moffat area.


We stopped at the six remaining stone houses, the Church, and numerous ruins of structures that have unfortunately not survived the ravages of the Canadian Prairies.

Among the those on the tour were former Wolseley residents Alden and Elaine Herndier, Pat and Carol Kydd, Mansel and Joyce Lavediere, Ashley and Ruby Pow, and Ken Stringer.
One of the most enthused participants was my Aunt Jeanette Bohonos. Many Wolseley, Glenavon, Montmartre and of course Moffat residents also attended.

For anyone interested in history or prairie architecture from the NWT times this tour is a must see!

5 comments:

Lynne said...

My parents will love to hear about this, especially Mom. I wish I could have gone on the tour too!

Wolseley Online said...

Lynne, your parents would have loved the tour...many memories for your mother that's for sure.

Cindy, If you are coming out next summer you ought to take in the tour...very good.

Anonymous said...

I did take the tour & thoroughly enjoyed it. If anyone is interested in the photo journal I just released featuring the tour, you can find it here:
http://www.worldisround.com/edit/309542/index.html

Anonymous said...

Glad I found your blog. My great, Great Granfather was Alexander Duncan from Moffat SK, Great Grandmother was his daughter.

I have visited the church many times with my grandmother who still resides in Glenavon. Moffat holds many memories for me.

Wolseley Online said...

Terri,

Thanks for visitng my blog, I appreciate it!
My Moffat memories are indeed wonderful.
As a Taylor, and given that my mother was a Graham, a step daugher of Peter Ferguson who lived at Berryhill, I too am steeped in Moffat history.

By-the-way, the tour is awesome! This was mine and my childrens second time. Maybe you can come some time, it's worth it!