Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Day of the TURTLE


Saturday evening, around 9:00pm, I heard my son Thomas in the yard excitedly hollering "Dad, Dad, you've got to get out here and see what I've got"
So I headed across the house and out onto the front veranda where Thomas had in his strong 10 year old hands firmly holding a Painted Turtle.
I asked Thomas where he found the creature and he said "I was riding past the Nursing Home and I saw something in the grass...and this is it!" Quickly, we found a plastic tub, put some water and grass in and decided to house the turtle overnight.
The next day the turtle became the focus of neighborhood kids and the Gagne cousins down for a visit on Father's Day. The whole experience was even heightened for the kids as the turtle laid an egg in the night. We set her free in the creek running through our yard that evening.

2 comments:

Wolseley Online said...

Cindy,
Yes, there has been turtles around for years. in fact, I remember somebody catching a Snapping turtle when I was young and I heard another was found in the Qu'Appelle river recently.
Regarding the egg, well turtles are not really delicate creatures and it met it's end with a clumsy mother. Hopefully, she will lay more eggs.

Anonymous said...

love hearing about the town it has been many years since i was there going to school.